Bridgette Raes Style Group Newsletter Annex

Enjoy reading all of our past Bridgette Raes Style Group newsletter articles here

Friday, May 12, 2006

What I have learned

By Bridgette Raes

After being in business for three and a half years I have learned a thing or two about women and style. Sure, I went into this business with knowledge, but I have acquired a great deal along the way. Here are some of the things I have learned:

I have learned that women love stylish shoes, but comfort always takes precedence.

I have learned that the closet tells on a woman: messy closet, messy life.

I have learned that most women wear clothing that is too big.

I have learned that women fear that other people will focus on their body issues as much as they do. Remember, nobody is looking at your body issues. Most people are too busy focusing and worrying about their own to be bothered with yours.

I have learned that women have too much reliance on black pants.

I have learned that when a woman likes the way she looks, the attached price tag doesn’t matter.

I have learned that when it comes to having a workable wardrobe, it is quality, not quantity that matters.

I have learned that most women look beautiful in teal.

I have learned that most women can shop in their closets. Almost everything she needs is already there. All she has to do is learn how to utilize it more effectively.

I have learned that a stylish woman looks timeless.

I have learned that women would rather be complimented on how good they look vs. how good their outfit looks.

I have learned that a good bra is really important.


I have learned that shopping is not a favorite pastime for many women. They consider it confusing, difficult and overwhelming.

I have learned that when women try clothing on and it doesn’t fit them, they blame their bodies and not the clothes. (How about blaming the clothes instead?)

I have learned that “dress for success” is a useless term unless a woman actually feels successful in what she is wearing.

I have learned that most women aren’t interested in being trendy; most women just want to express who they are through their clothing choices.

I have learned that once a trend is in Payless or Wal-Mart, it is basically over.

I have learned that finding the right pants means trying on about fifteen pairs.

I have learned that a woman may have an abundant wardrobe, but she will still wear the same few things, over and over.

I have learned that a woman looks better in clothing if it shapes her waist. Accent your waist if you have one, or create the illusion of one through your clothing if you don’t.

I have learned that black is not the most versatile wardrobe color.

I have learned that the fashion industry has a lot of learning to do with regard to understanding plus-sized women, African American women. and making inseams of pants long enough for women over 6’ tall.

I have learned that a woman’s chosen style is determined more by geography and lifestyle than it is by a fashion magazine.

I have learned that the most versatile accent color is green.

I have learned that most women feel confused about how to accessorize.

I have learned that the most expensive part of a woman’s outfit is usually her shoes.

I have learned that bulky clothing doesn’t camouflage anything; it only makes you look bulky.

I have learned that tan is the most elegant and sophisticated shoe color.

I have learned that every wardrobe should be equipped with sick-at-home pants which are old, comfy “never leave the house in” pants that instantly make you feel comforted the moment you put them on.

I have learned that there is no such thing as the perfect body; there is, however, perfect clothing for every woman’s body.

(c) 2005 Bridgette Raes Style Group

Signup for our weekly newsletter where we not only offer weekly style article written by Bridgette Raes, but also include Style Q&A, Upcoming events, advice from our resident "What To Do Girl", organizing, beauty and financial tips by visiting http://www.bridgetteraes.com/